In the book “Maximize Your Quality of Life, The 200% Solution“, the single factor under your control that determines your quality of life is revealed. That factor may surprise you, because it’s not genetics, and it’s not socio-economic status, and it’s not your birth order or your parents marital status. Those items are all important, but those items are all out of your control.
If all of those items were working against you, the single factor under your control that determines your quality of life can still overcome those items, and help you improve yourself. It’s not voodoo, it’s not a mystical power of the universe, and it’s not will power. None of those things can help.
The single most important factor determining your quality of life is your attitude. If you believe you can improve your quality of life, you are correct. Similarly, if you believe you can’t improve, you would also be correct. That belief is a self-fulfilling prophecy, and it’s a deadly accurate factor. It can also be the most difficult thing to change about yourself.
If you were born into an angry, dysfunctional family, that was poor and rarely generated good opportunities, and perhaps you just never clicked with you classmates at school or friends in your neighborhood, then you may have become convinced at some point that you would never amount to much, or you would never feel fit, or simply never have a chance at happiness. Life has a way of being very discouraging.
But here’s a few things scientists have proven about people that might help you change your “life”:
- People adopt the habits, language and attitudes of the five people closest to them.
- If your friends smoke and drink and refuse to eat salad just because, you will likely do the same.
- If your family deals with problems with anger, vulgar insults, and temper tantrums, you will likely do the same.
- But if you hang around people that walk, laugh, and respect each other “just because”, then you will too.
- Your brain needs the right fuel to function well
- If you eat a diet thick with sugar, you may feel lethargic all the time, in spite of the energy in your blood
- But if you eat a balanced diet, with the right amount of sugar for your activity level, you will likely be alert
- Physical activity can boost your mental capacity and improve your mood
- Light to moderate activity helps balance the sugar levels in your blood, improving your brain function
- moderate to heavy activity can release endorphins that improve your mood
- Any amount of activity will lead to more restful sleep, which allows your brain to process information and improves recall in the future.
You can decide who you spend time with, so choose your friends carefully. (If your family has dysfunctional problems, work to improve the problems, or control your time with them.)
You can decide what foods are best for you. If you are hanging around people that don’t eat a balanced diet, plan your meal times carefully to ensure you get the correct nutrition for you.
You can decide what activities you do. If you like to run or workout at a gym, that’s an awesome choice for getting your brain to work better. If you like to walk or dance, then make plans to have those things happen.
If you take steps in some of these areas, I promise you that you will notice the difference, and you will want to take additional steps in other areas, as well. And when you are improving multiple areas of your life, your quality of life will improve. You will have taken control, and determined for yourself what your life will be.
You will have used your brain to help your brain, and you will have thought things better for yourself.