Intimacy, It’s Free and Feels Good!
Dr Debbie Heiser – Episode 640
Why should I listen- According to the CDC: Suicide among Middle Living Individuals is Rising
- There has been a steady rise in suicide since 1999.
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States with 123 suicides per DAY.
- Roughly 45,000 Americans committed suicide in 2016.
- For every suicide, there are 25 attempts. In 2015, nearly 506,000 people visited a hospital for injuries to themselves. Suicides and attempts occur in all demographics. No one is exempt from risk.
- According to the Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide costs the U.S. 69 Billion dollars each year.
- These numbers are on the rise even thought there are prevention strategies in place. Most of those who kill themselves have psychiatric symptoms, even if they have gone undiagnosed, with a vast increase in those with a diagnosis of depression or anxiety, and many who were being treated with medication.
- Interesting findings for middle living adults according to a recent NYT article: Suicide is the HIGHEST for MIDDLE AGE (those between 45 and 54 years of age. The next highest rate is for those 85 and older.
- Single middle-aged women were 2.8 times more likely to kill themselves than married women. Single male peers were 3.5 times more likely than men to commit suicide.
Please listen to Tom Matt’s ‘Boomers Rock’ radio talk show, show 38, season 7 syndicated all over Michigan on the Michigan Talk Network, Michigan State Universities 105.1 FM and AM 870 WKAR the Spartan Sports Network SSN/24-7 website (get the app Spartan Fans), and of course ITunes (please leave us a review, it really helps the ‘Algorithm’ ) broadcast on July 14th, 2018 below-