Season 5 Episode 2, October 31st, 2015
Living your dream through transitional recreation, loving yourself and care giving!
Our podcast featuring Debra Zarne covered several aspects of Debra’s interesting life: her transition from being a successful, high-powered lawyer in Manhattan to becoming an indie filmmaker and screenwriter; what it was like going back to school (USC film school); having embarked on this new career, Debra’s thoughts on how different her life has been from her prior life – what she gained that she never would have experienced if she had remained practicing law full-time; and her experiences and words of wisdom from being a caregiver for her elderly mother.
Some of Debra’s thoughts:
- Don’t wait too long in pursuing your dreams!
- Work past your fears of change – keep going and find gratifying rewards!
- When caregiving, focus on the positives, such as the opportunity to share the last months or years of your loved one’s life.
- While caring for a sick or elderly loved one, use the time to try to come to terms with their decline and passing, and with issues or hurts that may have come between you over the years. Discuss these issues and ask questions that you won’t be able to ask when they’re gone.
- Try to forgive each other and leave things on a positive note!
- Specific caregiving advice:
- Delegate to others when possible! But stay involved to make sure your loved one is getting proper care.
- Take care of yourself and don’t feel guilty about it!
- Share other parts of your life with your loved ones. They’ll enjoy your sharing with them, will be proud of your accomplishments in those other areas, and will be more understanding of your need to live your own life too.
- Notice how you’re becoming a better person – more patient, more loving – and feel good about that!
Listen to Tom Matt’s ‘Boomers Rock’ Radio Talk Show season 5 episode 2 below ( 10/31/2015)