Seven Social Media Posts
‘The Quest to 60’
January 1st, 2019Here is the deal everyone. Today begins 6 months until 60 for me. I plan on posting a monthly shot until my birthday to hopefully inspire all men and women who are on the fence or resigned to ‘getting old’, screw that gang, thing “Growing Older With Dignity”. I plan on doing and becoming the best I can be in all aspects of life, spiritually, mentally, nutritionally and physically. Think about balance, think about your family, your children, grandchildren all who depend on you, they need you and us. Most importantly you, become your best you, best version of whatever you choose. Our programming, books, radio show, blogs, website are full of tips and it’s all there. Make 2019 your year, #JustLive#MiddleLiving#crushit#GenerationUs#loveyourself
Quest to 60 update-
Last month I started the monthly update till 60, and frankly I still feel kinda funky about pics, however the points are these-
1. No matter how old, young, female, male, I pray for you to find your thing-thing. Activities that promote movement that are fun. Find yours, do more of it.
2. Go lighter! Heavy is not the answer, lighter, more focused, great form and rythm, find YOUR sweet spot. Staying healthy and injury free is key.
3. I have been encouraged to write about getting motivated, so I hope in essence if the “Quest to 60” monthly pics (just made that up) gets you thinking, great. You can always email me, firstname.lastname@example.org, listen to the radio show, read Healthy&Fit. I am easy to find and here to help.
4. Loud music, today VanHalen got some love, seriously though Motown crushes.
5. ESPM- I do nothing nutso, just follow the ESPM protocol and you got a shot. What is ESPM? See number 6
6. Eat, Sleep, Poop, Move, simple. Any of these doggin you, well puppy you just figured out where to begin.
7. Mix it up, I have been determined to fly around the gym and do whatever, there is no set anything. Except for the #21DayFix warmup, (Sorry Ash) the 30 minute workouts are a great intro to a full workout. And the 10 minute abs workout, yeah. Get it, #BeachBody
8. The MyZone heart rate monitor and app get full credit, its awesome and I love it.
9. Training partners, find one,
10. Lastly, Jump Rope, absolutely the bomb
May 30th, 2019 60, damn. What a great life I have.
Love you all,
March 2nd, 2019Quest to 60 update
1. Frankly the closer I get to 60 the better I feel physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. Everything is moving in the right direction. I am still struggling with the anxiety and insecurity of these pics, I am just focusing on the end game and the people who write me.2. This month it’s all about the back, the posterior chain, you know the thing no one works except for a few elite smarty pants.
3. In our ‘Mirror Facing’ culture these muscles get very little attention and love. We gotta put time into the back gang.
4. I have learned that if you don’t want to walk around all bent over like the HunchBack of Notre Dame than you should do this, at least think about these movements. One set of push (chest) two sets of pull (back). There are enough Silver Back gorillas in tbe jungle, we don’t need more in the weight room.
5. I like what I call “Reverse Pushups”, one of my close pals, who will remain nameless for now at least, corrected me (for the n_th time) that this move is actually called an ‘Inverted Row’ what the frick ever, utilizing the Smith Machine. Look it up, practice it, get good at it, you will know when you have arrived grasshopper.
6.Functional fitness, picking up a kid, a laundry basket, grocery bag full of whole foods, yes begins with back strength. Core strength ain’t shitte without a strong back, period.
7. Look slimmer, V shaped torso, great posture, less walking canes and injuries, perfect pecs, look up rhomboids.
8. A great balanced beutifully healthy body is a lot like a burrito, a good burrito. You don’t need to see all the spicy goodness to know its hot, a great back leads to walking around with confidence, game and presence. To own the party, walk in like a confident badass, seriously who wants to be a wimpy wanna be?
9. How muscles look from the front is one dimensional and weak, simple minded. Be focused on back strength you elite althlete and avoid low back pain.
10. Lastly, sitting is the new smoking of the 21st century. Remember, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Love you all!
April 1st, 2019
Quest to 60, 2 months to go! Getting Lean
This month I wanted to share my journey of getting leaner, and let’s be clear here I NEVER use the word diet! Think nutrition or eating plan or clean whatever you decide, just not diet. Way to beginning and end for me and with diets they always do, that is end.
1. After work prep- I am always packing my gear, lunch, computer, briefcase the night before. The routine is massively important.
2. Metrics- I was 202lbs on 4/7/17, today I average 175 (180 is my demarcation point) keep in mind that I virtually eliminated my chronic knee pain cutting the weight. I love my #MyZone HRM
3. Legs- I must give credit to @anasthma Sam Medved for getting in my head about my leg work, getting lean you must have strong legs. Honestly, I was resistant, dang near hostile when she coached me up. I was wrong, she was right. Great tip, she is an excellent coach and fitness instructor, email email@example.com
5. Have fun- I think of the gym as a playground for big people, 545AM, up at 4AM, you want to get it done, live long and prosper, get up early.
6. Eats- No sugar, bread, very little dairy, red meat, eating much more plant whole food based. You can NEVER out train a bad food plan, EVER! I still graze through the day and crush the raw broccoli, celery, protein bar, grapes post workout.
7. Intermittent fasting- Overnight 12 hours is the bomb, and occasionally longer. It’s ok getting used to feeling hungry, kinda edgy. Hungry at night? Brush yo dang teeth!
8. Healthy fats- ACV concoction(interested in recipe email me) supplements, wheat grass every morning.
9. Flexibility-Too much muscle mass has become problematic, hip mobility was the worst (see number 3, email Samantha) it’s a slow process. Seriously, getting a coach like I did makes a huge difference
10. Gratefullness- Being alive, healthy, killing the workouts is awesome. Been in the worst mental spaces ever, fitness and therapy are the way.
Thank you for reading
May 5th, 2019
Quest to 60, 25 days to go!
Secord Strong and fighting Cancer.
This month I wanted to dedicate this post to all of those who have and or are struggling with any issues in their lives. People who know me, or see me regularly know I proudly wear rubber bracelets with causes that are meaningful to me. My ‘Secord Strong’ bracelets are the best.
1. Loving yourself is like a bucket, it can be as full as you decide. Mike decided to do all he could to fight his Cancer, he fills his bucket daily. You can too.
2. Being in the best shape, spiritually, emotionally, nutritionally, physically, financially, is a constant work in progress. Embrace the work, because no one is going to do it for you.
3. Think about the effort, because that is what matters.
4. Be grateful for your life, your friends, your families and your relationships. It truly does make a difference.
5. Embrace the power of ‘Synchronicity’ never run away from gut feelings. If it feels good, great, if it feels wrong it probably is.
6. Having Mike on the radio program twice, and having him share an essay in our ‘Generation Us’ anthology book proves he is no quitter. I specifically put this chapter ‘Be Strong-Be Powerful’ next to last just before our youngest contributor, Samantha Medved’s ‘Be Respectful’. 7. Take control of your nutrition, Mikey did! When we last saw Mike and Liza he looked like a new man, he attributed it to getting his ‘eats’ right. Amazing is an understatement.
8. Stay connected to something, anything! Just as long as it moves the needle of life in a positive direction. We all know that poor choices lead to potentially bad results. Find good, do more of it, find good people, do more with them.
9. Get your rest and relaxation, it matters, A LOT!
10. Istay in shape because for a long time I was a slacker. Now I am convinced that to be the best husband, dad, Papa, friend, colleague, contributor to society, talk show host, author, speaker, trainer and coach I must!
Love you all, and especially my friends Mike and Liza Secord
May 30th, 2019
Quest to 60-Touchdown!
Well low and behold I made it to 60! First and foremost I wanted to share with you all that making it this far into my life was never a given. I have been a very fortunate guy, with many, many things to be grateful for. Just being alive is huge!
To be preoccupied with thoughts of things that I don’t have, of things that I have not accomplished, of things that others may have done frankly makes no sense to me, not at this point in my life. Becoming appreciative and grateful for everything I have and everything I have received is the key. Once I stopped for a moment, looked around, I realized I would find endless things to be exceedingly grateful for.
I am a very fortunate man.
To my family I owe you thanks for putting up with my ‘pinball-machine’ like brain, yes it is challenging.
To my friends I owe you thanks for sticking with me, through the dark days and now the light some have gone and some have arrived, thank you to all who are loyal.
If I can… so can you!
Sharpening the personal saw is on me, no one else.
I am supremely grateful for the love and support from Sandy. You have no idea how hard it must be to stick with it and me for 18 years. Thank you Blondie!
I am supremely grateful for Ashley and Matt, and the blessings of Harpie and BamBam, they are what truly inspire me to do what I can to improve the world in my own small way.
I am supremely grateful for LoLo, a person who I love so much and admire for her beauty and strength, even if I cannot understand what you say half the time I get you!
I am supremely grateful for my extended family, all great people, caring and true blue!
I am exceedingly grateful for my MSU family of colleagues and student collaborators, some of the best of the best, smartest of the smart and caring for the sake of friendship. I thank you, I owe you, I will be there for you!
I am exceedingly grateful for all of my mentors and friends who gave me advice freely and always encouraged me to improve. Through it all, you made me better and inspired me to want to help others. That is huge.
Here are a few images, they show hope and they show that when you put the time in, effort is everything.
Love you all so much, thanks again, here is to the next 40!
@ Holt, Michigan
Now that’s a wrap!
June 7th, 2019
All good things must end at some point. I hope you found value in my sharing the monthly ‘Quest to 60’ posts. Frankly I was VERRRY nervous about all of the pictures, but thanks to getting some advice from Sam (thanks coach) I pushed on and posted.
Thank you to LoLo and Sandy for assisting with the photos. Not being a ‘selfie’ guy, I needed it.
I have had so many well wishers and thanks from a lot of people for sharing these stories, hey if it helps you than awesome! Seems like every week someone else says something, and then the newspaper article hit and KABOOOOM, all is good in the 60 year old hood dog!
The first pic is April 2010, on the surface bodybuildinging is a amazing goal, but it is not real and totally unsustainable, I have learned ALOT since then.
Now, a week after my 60th birthday the rest of the images are of a guy who is in a much better place. Not only physically but emotionally, nutritionally, spiritually, emotionally. My body is healthy, my mind is healthy, my relationships are healthy. I have found balance.
I live to live and am ready! Ready to take on all of what the beauty that is life has to offer.
Where are you?
Dreading your 30th, 40th, 50th and on, why?
Fill your bucket with all of the positive attributes that will enable your growth, people, activities, food, children, hobbies, find your compelling WHY.
Only through the light can you defeat darkness, I can help you and am willing to assist.
Thank you all for the birthday wishes, and for supporting yesterdays newspaper article.
Yep it’s a journey, take it on, I did!
I love all of you!